Thursday, August 7, 2008

Guilty Friday: Guilty Pleasures

We all have them, things we know, as a rational matter, we should detest but that we secretly love. Things we sneak away to eat where no one will see us. Food and drink that would compromise our very credibility as a foodie/chowhound type. Maybe for you it's the Shamrock Shake or Moon Pies or Girl Scout cookies. Here are a few of mine:


Starbucks Strawberry & Cream Frappuccino

An airport staple for me, this artificially flavored strawberry and whipped cream monstrosity is the perfect not-quite-as-indulgent-as-a-milkshake treat for me when waiting for the next leg of my flight to wherever.

In truth, I'm a sucker for artificially-flavored strawberry drinks. I love Monin strawberry syrup as well as Strawberry Crush.


Coldstone Creamery

High butterfat ice cream mixed with stuff...what's not to like? I go for sweet cream with Oreos and fudge sauce. It's not Scoops or Fossleman's or Helados Pops, but it beats Baskin Robbin's by a mile.

And note to Coldstone, making your servers sing everytime they get a tip is not only annoying, it actually discourages tipping as a result of its annoyingness. Give your servers a break and some dignity and let them receive their tips in peace.


Lipton Onion Dip

I don't watch football at all, but I have a Super Bowl party every year just so I can pour a packet of Lipton onion soup powder into a carton of sour cream and dip the heck out of it with some Ruffles. MMmmm...salty.


Movie Theater Popcorn with Artificial Butter

Is there anything that tastes as good as a giant bucket of yellow popcorn topped with nearly a cup of golden liquid butter-stuff? It's the perfect amalgam of salt and grease, and the only rule is that it must be finished before the movie starts.

Phew, I'm glad to get that off my chest. What are your guilty pleasures?

No comments: