Friday, April 2, 2010

Happy Easter Candy!


Living in a bi-religious household, I often find myself hiding Easter candy for the kids around the same time I'm baking coconut macaroonss. The truth is, I love the pork and candy centric food traditions of Easter, and unlike Halloween, there are many candies that can only be found on the shelves during the Easter season. Here then, are three of my favorite Easter candies, and I'm not talking about fancy-schmancy stuff made by artisanal chocolatiers either. Easter, like Halloween, is for mass produced kids' candy.

3. Hershey's Marshmallow Egg

It looks like the Reese's Peanut Butter Egg, but it uses darker chocolate and it's filled with marshmallow, lots of chewy-gooey marshmallow. And unlike some marshmallow candies, the marshmallow tastes good and not like an odd chemical compound. Unfortunately, I've had some trouble finding these this year, and no, the new chocolate covered peeps, with the aforementioned chemically taste and the bright yellow die, are not a suitable substitute.


2. Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs

I've always been a big fan of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, but unlike the Easter offerings from many other candy bars, these aren't just the regular candy in a pink and blue pastel wrapper decorated with bunnies. The Reese's Egg is a fundamentally different candy than the traditional cup in that it alters not only the shape but the proportions. There is a far higher proportion of peanut butter to chocolate in the Egg than in the Cup. I like this version which really gives you a full bite of peanut butter with just a hint of chocolate. Hey, you got your egg in my peanut butter cup!

1. Cadbury Creme Eggs

I remember when these things first appeared on the shelves; they were a revelation. Long suspicious of the subpar chocolate eggs and the hollow monstrosities that haunt the aisles, it was with great fervor that I embraced a chocolate egg with a yolk. They're messy, they're so sweet you might enter a diabetic coma if you have more than one, and they have a certain gross out quality of pretending to eat a raw egg, but they are tasty and unique, even if there are millions of inferior copies now crowding the shelves each spring.



Oh, and what about Peeps you ask? Peeps are evil!!

2 comments:

Chuck Cowdery said...

I don't know about evil, but Peeps are more toy than food.

sku said...

Evil, I tell you! Those beady little eyes that seem to follow you through the room, the fluorescent colors, the odd crystal coating, the way they come all stuck together like Siamese quintuplet birds, pure evil, and unnatural at that.