Monday, April 25, 2016

Benromach Organic and Peat Smoke


The folks at Benromach recently "updated the look" of their whiskeys and sent me some samples.  I don't spend much time looking at whiskey, but I'll give them a taste.

Benromach Organic, 5 years old, 2010, 43% ($65)

The nose on this is straightforward and malty. The palate also has a pure, malty character. It's a bit diluted tasting and the finish fades quickly. While it's good whiskey, there's nothing special about it, and it's hard to recommend at $65. 

Benromach Peat Smoke, 9 years old, 2006, 46% ($60)

This has a really nice nose with lots of fuel like peat and a sort of solvent note, though not in a bad way. The palate follows up nicely with plenty of peat followed by a light sweetness. The peat is pretty steady and leads into a really spectacular finish which seems to go on forever.  This one is quite good and something I would buy.

Thanks to Benromach for the samples.


6 comments:

My Annoying Opinions said...

Are these minis or did they also send full bottle samples?

Is their new CS out in the US yet? If not, did they say when it might be?

sku said...

They are 200 ml bottles. The Imperial strength is out, haven't heard about a cask strength.

My Annoying Opinions said...

The 57% one is what I mean--that must be the Imperial strength.

sku said...

Yes, the 57% is the Imperial Strength and is out now.

Aaron M. said...

It is out along with the 15 year old. Both $100. Phooey!

My Annoying Opinions said...

Wow. That's way more expensive than in the EU.